Board of Directors
Dr. Philip W Cooper Jr
Board of Directors – President
Dr. Philip W. Cooper, Jr.
Office 912 234-5003
Bio - Read More About Dr. Philip W Cooper Jr.
Dr. Philip W. Cooper, Jr. is a native of Savannah, Georgia. He is a graduate of Meharry Medical College – School of Dentistry. In addition to practicing dentistry, he is the Co-Founder and Chief Investigator for Smiles Are Meaningful, Inc., a research organization whose focus is the impact of Sleep Apnea on growth and development in African American Children. Dr. Cooper taught in the public schools of North Carolina, and at Armstrong State College (Armstrong Atlantic State University), in Savannah. He has conducted seminars for school districts, including pre-k and the elementary grades, child care centers, and community groups in the areas of Sleep Apnea and Cognitive Development. Dr. Cooper is the author of the 2009 book, WHY? AFRICAN AMERICAN CHILDREN CAN NOT READ, which emphasizes the impact of Sleep Apnea on children’s ability to learn to read. Cooper has presented and served as keynote speaker for multiple audiences on the subject of Healthcare Disparities and Learning Disabilities – The New Frontier, Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Brain Development inclusive of;
- Alabama State Pre-K Conference
- Chatham Association of Educators
- Chatham Association of Retired Educators
- Georgia Dental Society
- Georgia Association of Educators
- Georgia State Medical Association
- Glynn County (Georgia) Public School System
- Mitchell County (Georgia) Public School System – Professional Development
- National Black Child Development Institute Annual Conference
- City of Savannah, Moses Jackson Advancement Center
- National Medical Association
- Savannah Youth Futures Authority Children’s Summit
- Savannah-Chatham County Public School System – Parent University – Pre-K and High School Teacher Orientation Sessions
- State of Georgia Title I Directors Conference
- Wayne State University Institute for the Study of the African American Child Conference on Research Directions
Lincoln Dental Society – Chicago, IL.
- North Dallas Hispanic Dental Association, Dallas, TX.
- Angel Dental Society – Los Angeles, California
- Economic Opportunity Authority, Professional Development Conference, August, 2012
- Speaker, The Neurological impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea On Brain Development. Sponsored by The American Association Of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry, Oakland, California, June 14, 20013.
- Featured Speaker, Neurobehavioral Implications of Sleep Disordered Breathing, Gulf State Dental Association. Sponsored by The Appliance Therapy Group’s – Smile Foundation. Huston, Texas June 2, 2013
- Featured Speaker, NYU College Of Dentistry Alumni Association 2nd Annual Symposium. Sponsored by The New York State Association of Pediatric Dentists and the New York School of Dentistry Department of Pediatrics. The topic: Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Pediatric Oral Health, New York September 22, 2012.
- Speaker, The Silent Airway Problem that can Impact a Child’s Brain Development Symposium. Sponsored by the American Association of Physiological Medicine & Dentistry. Topic: Neurological Implications of Sleep Disordered Breathing, New York October 6, 2012
- Speaker, MultipleCare Pathways : Sleep Disorder Breathing Conference. Sponsored by the ACADEMY OF CILNICAL SLEEP DISORDERES DISCIPLINES, Phoenix, Arizona, October 20, 2012.
- Trainer, Health Care Ambassadors, National Baptist Convention, Project H.O.P.E. Sponsored by the National Baptist Convention, USA, INC., Atlanta, Georgia, September 4, 2012
- Trainer, Health Care Ambassadors, National Baptist Convention, Project H.O.P.E. Sponsored by the National Baptist Convention, USA, INC., Saint Louis, Missouri June 18, 2012.
Currently, Dr. Cooper is developing the Oral Health Tool Kit for the U.S. Department Of Health and Human Services Tri-Regional Faith-Based Community Health Summit, the Chatham-Savannah Promise Neighborhood Collaboration, and State of Georgia Department of Human Services/Annie E. Casey Foundation, Incorporated – Reading at Grade Level by Third Grade Initiative.
Professionally, Dr. Cooper is a member of the National Dental Association, American Association of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry, American Academy of Sleep Disorders Discipline, International Association for Orthodontics, American Association for Functional Orthodontics, Mid-American Orthodontic Society, American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Appliance Therapy Practitioners Association, The Academy of Clinical Sleep Disorder Disciplines and a registered Sleep Group Solutions Center.
Dr. Cooper is the Clinical Director of Coastal Sleep Solutions, a dental clinical practice devoted to treating Sleep apnea patients who are CPAP intolerant and pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome patients. He is a member of the California-based Smile Foundation Lecture Faculty and has presented at multiple venues on “The Role of the Dentist in Sleep Medicine” and “Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea”. He is also a Board Member of the American Association of Physiological Medicine & Dentistry.
He is a member of the National Black Child Development Institute, a number of other health and education-focused organizations.
Dr. Cooper is past Chairman of the Board of Directors of the West Broad Street YMCA, on the Board of Directors of The Goodness and Mercy Foundation – Hands Across Africa, and served as a volunteer on the Medical Team that has completed multiple mission trips to Ghana and Nigeria, Africa. Dr. Cooper is committed to helping youth develop to their greatest potential, educationally, socially, mentally, and physically, as is evidenced by his membership and leadership on the boards of several child and youth-serving organizations.
Bio - Read More About Margaret Reid
Margaret Reid is an agent with New York Life Insurance Company. Margaret has been in insurance sales for the past two years. Her longest work history was with TRW Rack and Pinion Division. Margaret graduated from Mount Olive College in 1998 with a Bachelors degree in Business Administration and Management and Organizational Development. She completed her Christian studies at Christian Life School of Theology where she graduated with a Doctorate of Divinity in 2009.
Margaret has been a member of Anointed One’s Ministry International for 30 years. Along with many other responsibilities within the Ministry Margaret serves as Coordinator for the Association of Midnight Basketball League. Margaret resides in Greenville North Carolina where she enjoys being a part of the quaint southern environment.
Retired Judge Walter C. Brandon, Jr.
Bio - Read More About Walter C Brandon Jr.
Judge Brandon is a retired Associate Circuit Judge for the 20th Judicial Circuit, St. Clair County, State of Illinois. He was appointed in 1997 and served in this capacity for over 20 years.
After graduating from East St. Louis Senior High School, he continued to Illinois State University in Normal, Illinois where he received a Bachelor of Sciences in Political Sciences and a Master of Sciences in Criminal Justice. In 1988, he received a Jurist Doctorate from Southern University Law Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Judge Brandon learned a lot from his father, a former East St. Louis police lieutenant who influenced his career interests which include his service as: Assistant State’s Attorney; Assistant Public Defender; and principal in a major, medical malpractice law firm in southern Illinois. In the early 90s, Brandon founded his own private law practice. During this time, he was appointed by the township administrators to serve as corporate counsel for the township of Centreville, Illinois and he secured a contract to serve as Municipal Attorney for the City of East St. Louis, Illinois.
In 2008, Judge Brandon was appointed by the Governor of the State of Illinois to serve as a member of the Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice Advisory Board where he continues to serve. He has also been designated by the Administrative Office of Illinois Courts to serve as a lecturer in juvenile abuse, neglect, and dependency and delinquency matters at the State of Illinois Judicial Education Conferences. Additionally, Brandon has been appointed to serve on the Alumni Board of Directors for his alma mater, Illinois State University.
Judge Walter Brandon Jr. maintains strong ties to the Metro-East through community engagement. Through the years, Brandon has been involved with the empowerment of youth through entities such as the Illinois State Bar Association Juvenile Justice Section Council, and the Big Brother-Big Sister Organization. Concerned with the plight of youth in the Metro-East area, Brandon established St. Clair County’s first Association of Midnight Basketball League to offer area youth a late-night alternative. Brandon is an active member of the Nu Chi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., and in 2016, Brandon became an executive board member of the Boy Scouts of America, Greater St. Louis Area Council.
Judge Brandon has had the opportunity to share his wealth of knowledge as an Adjunct Professor at Harris Stowe State University in St. Louis, Mo. He’s also served as an Adjunct Professor at Lindenwood University at their Belleville, Illinois campus, where he lectured on the administration of juvenile justice.
Judge Brandon is a member of St. Paul Baptist Church in East St. Louis, Illinois where he leads a weekly men’s bible class. He also serves at Parkside Area Christian Church where he leads a new member class and serves as the Director of the Media Ministry.
Close to Judge Brandon’s heart, are his family and friends who offer loving support and encouragement for his endeavors. His maxim is …enjoy life every day.
Bio - Read More About Vanessa McQueen-Silas
National Board Member and Austin’s Association of Midnight Basketball Director, Mrs. Vanessa McQueen – Silas, was Recognized by Members of Delta Beta Chapter, National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa, Inc. for Community Service. , (2016)
Using her Business Management Education from St. Edwards University Mrs. Silas has served as General Manager of the Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex for the past 17 years. She is a George Washington Carver Museum Ambassador and the Board Chair of Athletes Services Network America.
Bio - Read More About Keith Hazell
Born in New Jersey and raised in San Francisco, Keith is currently a Job Developer with the Mayor’s Office of Economic Workforce Development. Most previously He worked at the Aerial Beacon as its Senior Project Executive. Aerial Beacon is a company that flies aerial banners over the populous. Keith handled the Super Bowl 50 accounts.
Keith Hazell has been a 25 year Social Service Specialist. He’s worked primarily with at-risk youth and adults in San Francisco and Oakland.
A former Professional Basketball player with stops in Argentina, France and Germany. Keith also has worked as a Marketing Director for several businesses including a sports apparel company (Fundamental Athlete), a Sports Ultra lounge ( Fanatics Sports Entertainment Complex), and a music entertainment showcase (J’La Chic). Keith Was the President of Basketball Operations for the Richmond Rockets a pro basketball team in the American Basketball Association.
He is a successful Logo Designer and portrait artist, and as a Producer he’s created countless entertainment events including concerts, fashion shows and stand-up comedy in the Bay Area he is a natural with public speaking.
Keith graduated from Galileo HS. In San Francisco. He attended City College of San Francisco and San Francisco State University and Graduated from New College of California. Keith is a member of The Sports Hall of Fame at both GHS and SFSU for Basketball and Track & Field
- Bachelor of Arts Degree Humanities w/emphasis on
- Sport in Society New College of California
- Marketing Director/Chief media Spokesman -Fanatics Sports Entertainment Complex
- Marketing Director -Ja La Chic Entertainment
Comedy/Entertainment Producer- KH Diversified Entertainment
- Social Work Administrator/Youth Development Director – Youth Opportunities! SF Dept of Labor
Interim Executive Director Youth Opportunities!
- Oakland Job Developer /Placement Supervisor – Office of Economic Workforce Development
- Case Manager, Councilor, at risk youth / mentally disabled adults (various non-profit organizations)
- Sports apparel Designer –Fundamental Athlete Apparel
- Freelance Logo Designer- notable client- New College of California
- President of Basketball Operations- Richmond Rockets -American Basketball Association
- Professional Basketball Player 7 seasons Argentina, Germany, France
- Head Coach SF Dream Team San Francisco Pro/Am (5 seasons)
- Hall of Fame San Francisco State University Basketball
- Hall of Fame Galileo HS Track & Field and Basketball
- Board of Directors- Project Reconnect- Oakland Ca
Board of Directors- Overcomers With Hope- Oakland Ca
- Board of Directors – National Association of Midnight Basketball Association
Julius P. Terrell
U.S. Attorney Washington, DC
Bio - Read More About Julius P. Terrell
Julius P. Terrell, a native of Oakland, California is an attorney, counselor of law, and arbitrator. His areas of practice include estate planning, probate administration, business and family litigation and government relations. He also serves as an arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Terrell had a distinguished career in public service including tours of duty as Staff Counsel for United States Congressman Pete “Fortney” Stark (California 13th District), U.S Department of Labor, the Government of the District of Columbia.
Mr. Terrell’s educational training includes:
- Wealth Counsel estate planning training
- Certification in the Fundamentals of Money Management from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School Business
- a Juris Doctorate Degree conferred by the University of Iowa’s College of Law
- undergraduate degree conferred from Pitzer College
- and special training at Morehouse College and the University of Nairobi in Kenya.
- He is a graduate of Oakland, California’s Bishop O’Dowd High School.
His highest achievement is his faithful service as a son, brother, husband, and father.
National Law Offices of Julius P. Terrell, PLLC
Managing Partner & Owner
Provide Legal counseling in estate planning, litigation, real estate, entertainment, sports, family, business, government relations, and personal law. Advise and Advocate for the best interests of clients.
Men’s Division 1 Basketball Referee
Division Men’s Basketball Official
Associate General Counsel
DC Retirement Board
Managed securities litigation for the pension system, negotiated and drafted investment management contracts with private equity and investment companies. Responsible for federal and district government affairs.